Pure Storage recently announced a new Evergreen Storage Service (ES2) claimed to deliver “storage-as-a-service (STaaS) for private and hybrid clouds” for “terms as low as 12 months” with pay-per-use pricing “subject to a minimum commitment.” In other words, Pure Storage now prices and sells the same all-flash arrays (AFAs) using CapEx or OpEx dollars. This makes it seem that ES2 innovation is limited to an accounting “alternative” (read gimmick).
Sorry Pure Storage. ES2 doesn’t even come close to meeting the criteria for Enterprise STaaS.
Multi-protocol Enterprise Storage Access
|Entire Storage Environment||Yes||No|
|Comprehensive Storage Service||Yes||No|
|Rich Enterprise-Grade Data Management||Yes||Limited|
|Public Pricing with Monthly Billing||Yes||No|
|Unsurpassed Agility and Scaling||Yes||No|
|100% Uptime Service Level Agreement||Yes||No|
Only the Zadara Storage Cloud offers a genuine Enterprise STaaS experience, including:
- – Multi-protocol enterprise storage access that offers block, file, and object access to support mixed database and application workloads in physical, virtualized, and container data center environments.
- – An entire storage environment installed at customer selected locations including public cloud direct-connected to hyperscalers, private cloud on-premises in local data centers, remote data centers, or colocation data centers, and public-private hybrids.
- – A comprehensive storage service that is operated, managed, and monitored by Zadara expert staff for health status, data availability, and storage capacity and performance.
- – Rich enterprise-grade data management supporting database and application high-availability, business continuity, and disaster recovery (including triple-mirroring), plus encryption, snapshots, replication, local/remote mirroring, online volume migration, and more.
- – Public pricing with monthly billing for customer-defined storage configurations and usage with online configurator and free trials that eliminate the guesswork for block, file, and object storage budgeting and chargebacks.
- – Unsurpassed agility and scaling that features the agility to create and change configurations whenever needed and the ability to scale capacity and performance up or down to match present and future needs.
- – 100% uptime Service Level Agreement (SLA) including 24x7x365 proactive support and seamless upgrades allowing customer IT staff to focus on strategic business needs rather than ongoing system maintenance.
The Zadara Enterprise STaaS Solution
Zadara delivers Enterprise STaaS to business and service provider clients using a portfolio of products running the same Zadara software and using the same industry-standard hardware. The essential difference in products relates to where the hardware is physically located (on-premise or in the cloud, for example) and how the storage is provisioned (block, file, or object).
A Zadara Storage Cloud can include some or all of the following:
- – public cloud-connected VPSA® Storage Arrays and VPSA® Object Arrays
- – private On-Premises as-a-Service (OPaaS) using OPaaS VPSAs and Cloud VPSAs
In every scenario, Zadara clients provision storage wherever it is needed without concerns about available performance or capacity. The Zadara solution universally delivers storage that meets all business use-cases for enterprises and service providers using a pay-per-use model supported by operating expense (OpEx) budgets.
zadara_admin June 22, 2018